A healthy and resilient environment is essential to everyone. We need clean air to breathe, clean water to drink, fertile soils to grow food in, healthy seas to fish in and a stable climate.
With the UK Government’s announcement of the first Westminster Environment Act in over 20 years, we have a once in a generation opportunity to create world leading legislation that sets us on the path to restoring nature and improving our environment for generations to come.
I back a Westminster Environment Act that:
- secures the recovery of nature and a healthy environment for the benefit of people and wildlife;
- sets ambitious legally binding targets to clean up our air, seas and rivers; return our soils to health; ensure resilient ecosystems on land and at sea; recover our native biodiversity; improve access to green space; address climate change; and reduce waste;
- creates nature recovery networks, mapped and delivered locally, to contribute to delivering these targets;
- establishes an independent watchdog with the powers to hold the UK government and public bodies to account, underpinned by world leading environmental principles enshrined in law;
- reflects our commitment to reducing our global environment footprint, and restoring nature overseas
The environment does not respect borders; and high standards for the environment will be necessary across the whole of the UK. Future environmental protection and legislation will work best where it is co-designed and co-owned by all four countries, whilst respecting the devolution settlements.
If you would like to sign this pledge, please contact: Agathe de Canson on
adcanson [at] green-alliance.org.uk